[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 12 11:01:24 UTC 2011

On 04/12/2011 01:21 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote on 04/11/2011 12:20 PM:
>> No, re-read what I said. Ownership in the distro is quite a different
>> ballgame from userend support.
>
> Yes, but it seems to be rather closely held.

The option I was talking about was how that can change - people can step
up to take ownership of various components in the distro - was that not
clear in my email ? I can try and put this into a more verbose text and
explain how something like this might work.

> There has been extensive support and agitation among the user-base for
> more timely updates, particularly for security issues.  It seems obvious
> to me that there is considerable room for improvement.

sure, I dont deny that. But when there are options available for people
to help with that, noone seems really keen on getting on board. The few
who do are actively discouraged from doing what they can.

> A lot of people have been thinking rather hard about how CentOS can be
> improved.  Please share your thoughts on what needs to be done, and
> carry through with a plan of action to accomplish it.  Nobody is in a
> better position to do that than you are.

Sure, I am happy to do that.

- KB