[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Tue Apr 12 12:51:04 UTC 2011

I finalized an install with CentOS 5.6 yesterday on a machine that will be our
department fileserver. Ext4 seems to work fine on this raid-array.

In what way is ext4 not "fully baked" on CentOS 5.6?

IIRC, gparted won't be able to manipulate eg ext4 partitions if you don't have
the appropriate ext4 fs-utils installed. I might be wrong though.

OTOH, gparted doesn't see my software raid array either. Gparted it rather
practical for regular plain vanilla partitions, but for more advanced stuff and
filesystems, fdisk is probably better.

My two oere.
--
/Sorin