[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Tue Apr 12 23:00:26 UTC 2011

>The WD RE4-GP is a so-called ''green'' disk that's suitable for RAID
>arrays.  It's marketed and priced as an enterprise drive.

I've had good luck with green, 5400 rpm Samsung drives. They don't spin down
automatically and work fine in my raid 5 arrays. The cost is about $80 for
2TB drives.

I also have a few 5900 rpm Seagate ST32000542AS drives, but not currently in
raids. They don't spin down, so I'm sure they would be fine in a raid.

None of the drives in the raids have failed, although I've replaced a couple
that developed reallocated sectors as reported by smart.

Just because they are so tiny on the outside, 2.5 inch drives like the
Seagate Constellation and WD Raptors are great. Unfortunately, the don't
come any larger than 1TB, so I use them in special situations.