[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Wed Apr 13 08:00:56 UTC 2011

Doesn't that depend on what sort of backup solution you're planning, and the
level of "criticalness" of the backups saved?

Some say that for more serious raid solutions, hardware is the way to go, while
software raids are sort of a middle-road.

Me, I usually go with software raid. I've had one too many hardware raid
failures where I haven't been able to restore the data contained. With software
raid a restore has always worked fine for me, especially broken raids in
Windows. While raid in Windows isn't overly performance-inclined, I've come to
appreciate the software ditto in linux - both performance and stability is
top-notch IMHO.

With today's CPU-performance and RAM available, software raids are not a problem
to power.

--
/Sorin