[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:22:31 UTC 2011

On 4/13/2011 5:50 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CentOS5ConvertToRAID
>>
>> Where the operative part of the bazillion step process is copy the data
>> to the new device while running from a rescue CD, then making it
>> bootable.  This isn't really specific to CentOS - but on Windows (server
>> versions) it is a mouse click to make a file system dynamic and then
>> another one or two to add a mirror - with the system still running. Or
>> you could use a few command line commands instead.
>>

> Oh please don't tell the lads how great the gui and its backend are. You
> will see the hordes leave for Windows 200X Server!

The GUI-ness isn't the point here.  As I mentioned, you can use a
command line in windows too.  The point is that the underlying
filesystem/raid has functionality that Linux versions lack and it turns
out to be useful when you haven't done your planning well and don't want
to be down for a while fixing it.  I'd like to see even a rough
approximation of this capability in Centos, like SME-server's ability to
install on a 'broken' raid where you can add/sync the mirror later (but
as an option, not your only choice...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com