[CentOS] [OT] ups advice

Kevin Thorpe kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com
Thu Apr 14 16:36:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis <adminlewis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?

It depends on how long you want it to run. Your choice is a small UPS
to give your
server just enough time to shut down or a big UPS to allow you to
carry on working
for some time.

In general a fileserver will only need a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes to
shut down as
your workstations are probably already dead. Obviously this has changed now that
people have laptops. If you're running big processes on the server then you need
long enough to let them complete or shut down gracefully.

Of course this assumes reliable power. If you regularly have outages
or bad brownouts
then scale up.