[CentOS] [OT] ups advice

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Apr 14 16:51:42 UTC 2011

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis <adminlewis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?
>
> It depends on how long you want it to run. Your choice is a small UPS to
give your server just enough time to shut down or a big UPS to allow you to
> carry on working for some time.

And it depends on what you're trying to deal with: if it's occasional
brown or blackouts, or power flickers (let's not talk about Chicago, for
example), then you need enough power to provide all it will draw for a
couple minutes at most. If you're looking at longer power outages, you'll
need something a lot bigger, though one suitable for the above purpose
would usually allow it to shut down gracefully; it's not like Linux takes
a long, long time to shutdown.
<snip>
> people have laptops. If you're running big processes on the server then
you need long enough to let them complete or shut down gracefully.

Heh. Depends on your definition of "big processes", says the guy whose
users normally are running jobs that run for *days*, if not weeks.

       mark