[CentOS] Expanding RAID 10 array, WAS: 40TB File System Recommendations

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Apr 15 09:34:34 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 15, 2011 03:59 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/14/11 5:43 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> openindiana is under the Illumos project umbrella.  They aren't going to
>>> use anything else.
>> Eh? I was under the impression that they are separate and that Garrett
>> Damore was rather unhappy with the initial direction of OpenIndiana in
>> not preparing for an illumos release. 148 is still not illumos as far as
>> I know.
>
> afaik, both are still using pretty much the last opensolaris kernel with
> minor changes

or nice big changes from the standpoint of those who were pining for
openindiana with b134+patches

> I was going on this, which says OpenIndiana is a member of the Illumos
> Foundation, that Illumos was providing the core/kernel, and OpenIndiana
> is integrating it into a complete system aka distribution
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Frequently+Asked+Questions#FrequentlyAskedQuestions-WhatistherelationshipbetweenOpenIndianaandIllumos%3F

oh i see.

> They go onto say they are waiting for Illumos to mature before they
> integrate it.

Yes...like getting g11n in. I guess traction is there already.
OpenIndiana will be moving to illumos so i guess it would be the one to
use if one wants a sun cc compiled and sun linked distro.

It's going to be interesting to see how all these different projects
including CentOS play out.