[CentOS] cross-platform email client

Jeff jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:30:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
> once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
> several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
> waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.
>
> My main desktop platform is Linux, but I need a client that works the
> same and looks the same on Windows too. Email server is IMAP with a
> pretty hefty account: over a hundred folders, hundreds of thousands of
> messages total (server-side filtering with Sieve). Typically it's a
> remote session, over VPN. So the client better work well, and be
> glitch-free.
>
> The issues with Thunderbird might be related to the size of my IMAP
> account, plus the VPN latency - but frankly, I don't care, the client
> needs to hide all that stuff from me, do the updates or whatever in the
> background, instead of blocking the UI until it's done. Ironically, it
> blocked when I was done with this paragraph and I hit Enter. Sticking it
> to the man one last time, I guess.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
local synchronization?

Account Settings -> Synch & Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
account on this computer"

Or at least that's where it is in Windows T-Bird.

--
Jeff