[CentOS] centosplus kernel not up to date ?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Apr 17 01:08:23 UTC 2011

> >> That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
> >> my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.
> >>
> >> I will try that on monday.
> >
> > Yum shouldn't have deleted your running kernel in the update.  It should
> > just be
> > a matter of changing the default to boot in the grub config if you want to
> > run
> > the old one a while longer.
>
> No, it didn't, but on reboot, it booted the non-centosplus kernel, the one
> that was more upto date...

If you enable the kernel from the CentOSPlus repo, you should *disable*
kernel updates from the standard repo, otherwise yum will get updates
from *both* places.  By disabling the kernel packages from being updated
from the standard repos (os and updates), yum won't update to a non
CentOSPlus kernel -- if the CentOSPlus has not been pushed to the
CentOSPlus repo, you just won't get a new kernel at all.  (Eventually
when the CentOSPlus does get pushed, yum will pick it up.)