[CentOS] Heads up: Bugged update xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-5.el5_6.1 upcoming

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Apr 18 14:34:27 UTC 2011

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> On 04/17/2011 03:56 PM, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Reading
>>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=309
> 39&forum=37 I noticed a warning about an upcoming bugged
> update xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-5.el5_6.1
>>
>> I would advise everyone to add
>> exclude=xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-5.el5_6.1
>> to their updates repo config.
>
> this sounds like extremely bad advice.

Not as bad, however, as installing the update.

To be pedantic, a crashed system is bug-immune.  Totally.
This is not a preferred tactic, outside the Amish community (which
hasn't had a hostile computer security escalation event in 300 years).

Security vulnerabilities are not good.

Crashed systems (or crashed major components thereof such as GUI) are
worse.
Don't install the update, wait for one that works without
crashing/trashing major system components.
SL has such an update, so we've heard here on this list.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me