[CentOS] glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.2.i686 broken?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 19 16:38:50 UTC 2011

> >> For clarification, this bug is only known to be affecting Evolution
> >> and Gnome-Panel, correct? If so, for most servers, the update should
> >> not be a concern. I've updated four desktops -- the two with Intel
> >> video chips are not affected at all. The two with nVidia chipsets and
> >> proprietary nVidia drivers *are* affected. Since I don't use
> >
> > Are only the nVidia chipsets + *proprietary* nVidia drivers?  And only
> > Evolution and Gnome-Panel?  And is it 32-bit AND 64-bit or only 32-bit
> > (or only 64-bit)?
> >
> > I have a batch of 32-bit diskless workstations, powered by a 32-bit
> > server (all but one uses an Intel video chip, and the last is something
> > else -- not nVidia), one regular workstation (don't think it is nVidia
> > either).  A 32-bit laptop with a ATI video chip and a 64-bit desktop
> > with a nVidia video chip, but NOT the proprietary nVidia driver (I have
> > no use for 3D accel and refuse to mess with nVidia's proprietary
> > drivers).  All of these machines are still at CentOS 5.5, but I'd like
> > to update them to 5.6.  Oh, the laptop and the 64-bit workstation are
> > *my* machines and *I* don't use *any* desktop manager (neither GNome
> > nore KDE) on either machine.
> >
> > Oh, no one uses Evolution on any of these machines (one person uses
> > Thunderbird).
>
> I am using this gilbc on my x86_64 laptop with the proprietary NVIDIA
> drivers (Quadro FX 1800M video on a Dell M4500n laptop).  I am not
> having any gnome-panel issues and I do not use Evolution, so not sure
> about that.
>
> There are no issues reported where the glibc is affecting non X clients.

*I* found a new X client that I *guess* is affected: xrdb (which I
suspect almost no one actually uses anymore).  I get this error from
xrdb:

sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

I upgraded my (32-bit) laptop to CentOS 5.6 and now my .Xdefaults file
is no longer being loaded.  Everything else seems to be working just
fine. Once I get to a high speed WiFi hot spot, I'll download the temp
fix glibc files and install them and see if that fixes things.