[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Apr 20 21:19:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 01:34:54PM -0400, Tom H wrote:

> I don't think that I've ever read an article of his before but respect
> isn't earned by praising a distribution or criticizing another.

I have read some of his articles in the past and I speak from the point
of knowledge of his past writings; and also knowledge of his past
involvement with a different linux distribution.  He's apparently got an
axe to grind against the CentOS project.  That's fine, this is a free
country and he can write and say whatever he wants.  But to allude to
him as a respected industry member is greatly stretching things when
every article that mentions CentOS is disparaging and I can't recall any
article even ending on a positive note.  That type of writing, much like
the constant complainers on this list that, for whatever reason, stay
with CentOS when alternatives exist eventually turns into nothing more
than noise.

> You may agree or disagree with his conclusion but his facts are a
> reflexion of the CentOS lists.

No.  His conclusions are rehashed, sometimes verbatim, from this list
and the same vocal and tiny minority of users; and that's one of the
problems I have with his style of one-sided journalism - there are two
sides to most every story and when you concentrate solely on the
negative aspects you are doing your readers a grave disservice.

> If CentOS had a communication policy, it could spare itself these
> types of articles...

No.  These types of articles will continue to appear whether there is a
communications "policy" or not.  However having someone actually posting
updates once in a while _would_ be a good thing.  And preferably someone
that doesn't favor one avenue (forums) over another (this list).

							John
--
The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to
have any.

-- Katharine Whitehorn (1928-), British journalist, writer, and columnist