[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:28:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Ian Murray <murrayie at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> My big beef has always been that the website and project name suggest one thing
> (i.e. enterprise ready), when the reality is quiet different. I think Zonker got
> that one spot on. My suggest to the devs is to change the name and update the
> website and then there is no pretense. Name change will never happen, though, as
> it is a valued "brand" now. I bet you if you did a rebuild off of CentOS, they
> would make you take out all references just like RH do.

It sounds to me like "your big beef" is that you can't run the CentOS
distribution the way *you* want it run. Whether you agree or not,
doesn't change the fact that CentOS *is* enterprise ready.-- and many
enterprises use it. The only time there are significant delays in
patches is when the CentOS team is rebuilding a point release. Sure
that's far from perfect, but it's something those who use CentOS have
learned to work around. Some of them use Red Hat Enterprise Linux on
their critical servers. There are other options, Oracle, Red Hat or
Scientific Linux.

As for rebuilding, why would you want to rebuild CentOS? Why not do
what CentOS does and get the sources directly from Red Hat and rebuild
that? Obviously you must think there is still some value in the CentOS
name.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6