[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 21 05:14:41 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 11:52 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/20/2011 02:29 PM, Ian Murray wrote:
>>
>> I have it black and white in a private email from JH that he would never give me
>> sufficient information to start a competing rebuild.
>
> Why would anyone give another entity all the things required to replace
> them?  Red Hat does not give us nearly the amount of information that
> we give to others.
>
> CentOS publishes everything required by the GPL ... actually much more
> than is required by the GPL.
>
> CentOS is not about making you be able to rebuild CentOS, it is about
> the CentOS Project producing and releasing a distribution and about the
> Community providing help for each other via the Wiki, Forums, Mailing
> Lists and IRC.

The is the description of the project on the main page:
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources
freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise
Linux vendor.  CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors
redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS
mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.)
 CentOS is free.

CentOS is developed by a small but growing team of core developers.  In
turn the core developers are supported by an active user community
including system administrators, network administrators, enterprise
users, managers, core Linux contributors and Linux enthusiasts from
around the world.

Where does that say it is the goal of CentOS to provide step by step
instructions to teach other projects how to rebuild the upstream sources?

What that says is the the devs build CentOS and the Community provides
support ....

How am I misreading it?