[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sun Apr 24 15:08:50 UTC 2011

2011/4/24 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>:
> I have a LinkSys WRT54GL router,
> which I would like to attach to my CentOS-5.6 server,
> to set up a LAN 192.168.2.* .
> The server is attached to the internet
> through a Billion modem/router which has a single ethernet outlet.
>
> The instructions for the LinkSys router
> assume that it is being attached directly to an ADSL modem.
> But for various reasons I want everything to go through my server.

Without any information on what the purpose of such a setup would be,
it's close to impossible to give you any recommendations. Is it
because you want to use your CentOS system as a firewall? a router? a
HTTP proxy? a network sniffer?

Or is it because you only have one external ethernet outlet and you
want to access the internet on your other systems, while the services
on your server still can be accessed from the outside? In the last
case, you would normally just put your server on the LAN and do
port-forwarding on your router. If it's because you want your server
to be "outside" of your LAN, a more correct approach would be to setup
a DMZ zone on your router, dedicate one of the LAN ports as DMZ port
and connect your server there.

> I wonder if anyone has set up a system like this?

Perhaps, perhaps not, depends on what the purpose of the system is.

Best regards
Kenni