[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

Anthony akcentos at anroet.com
Sun Apr 24 23:10:36 UTC 2011

  On 25/04/11 04:15, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Do you have a LinkSys router with an IP address other than 192.168.1.1 ,
> or even better with an address other than 192.168.1.* ?
> If you have, could you tell me _how_ you did it, please.
> I don't really care _why_ you did it.
>
> The instructions on the router only explain
> how to set it up (with address 192.168.1.1)
> attached directly to an ADSL modem.
> I could do that, but I don't want to ...

The reason you might want to stick with the 192.168.1.* IP address is
because when you have a need to reset to factory defaults, you'll find
it takes some extra steps to reconnect to it (can be done by adding a
slave IP address to the NIC attached to your AP; ip addr add
192.168.1.x/24 dev ethx) to reconfigure.  In my case, I simply changed
my internal network to suit the Linksys and never looked back.

I have my set up as follows:

(Pardon my ASCII art if it fails to render properly once I hit send)

------------    -----------------    ----------------    -----------------
| Internet |----| 5-port switch |----| CentOS 5 Box |----| 8-port switch |
------------    -----------------    ----------------    -----------------

<<<----------------------------------------------------<<<

V     ----------------
 >>>--|Linksys WRT54G|
       ----------------

My internal devices (192.168.1.x/24) are attached to the 8-port switch.
I use only 2-ports on the 5 port switch to connect the ADSL modem to the
server.  All DHCP, DNS, Firewalling, is done on the CentOS box.  I know
most will cringe on the next few words, but I happen to like the way it
is setup.  On the ADSL modem, I've set the CentOS box as the DMZ so that
I can control all Nating on the server.  It has not failed me for the
last 6 years I've been doing this.  The key is to have a deny,allow
firewall policy - meaning the policy on all chains is DROP, then I
puunch the holes I need.

Hopefully not too much verbiage.

Cheers,
Ak.