[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Apr 24 23:21:29 UTC 2011

On 04/24/11 11:15 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> >  Without any information on what the purpose of such a setup would be,
>> >  it's close to impossible to give you any recommendations. Is it
>> >  because you want to use your CentOS system as a firewall? a router? a
>> >  HTTP proxy? a network sniffer?
> I don't actually think my motives are relevant.
> In case I didn't described the situation clearly,
> my CentOS server is connected to an ADSL modem by ethernet (eth0).
> The modem's IP address is 192.168.1.254 .

your goal is very relevant if youj are expecting us to suggest a
workable solution.

but ouch, sounds like your modem is ALSO a NAT router, and is probably
running DHCP already.  what IP is eth0 of this linux PC ?

you want to avoid 'double nat' where there's multiple layers of address
translation as its just ugly as heck to troubleshoot, and adds
complexity without any additional value..

assuming I'm right, and your modem is in fact doing NAT routing too,
then I'd put DD-WRT or Tomato opensource firmware on the WRT54GL,
configure it for LAN only use, so all 5 ports are LAN, plug it into the
modem, plug your computer(s) into the WRT's switch also, and configure
the WRT"s wireless.   now all your systems will be on that 192.168.1.xxx
subnet.