[CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:59:19 UTC 2011

On 4/27/2011 12:43 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
>> providing access to my Linux server.  Since Linux is more
>> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
>> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
>> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
>> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>>
>> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
>> Linux server?
>>
>> Todd
>>
> WOW!  A few choices.  in checking the ssh configuration file, I
> am setup using password authentication - not the best choice.  If
> I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh client?  One
> client I use is SSH Tectia.

Clients normally try key-based authentication first if they have the
private side of the identity key.

> Of course, this will require a
> change in FreeNX.

The NX client uses passwordless key authentication to connect as the nx
user first, then uses that encrypted channel to do password-based
authentication as the actual user.  So you at least have to permit
passwords over the loopback (127.0.0.x) interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com