[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Jussi Hirvi listmember at greenspot.fi
Thu Apr 28 04:48:46 UTC 2011

I understand you so well, I have been so frustrated too with
virt-install. Virt-manager is probably an easier way to install, but
text-based virt-install is very cranky (my experience). Maybe the devs
concentrate on the GUI side. Hope not.

Anyway, to know what is wrong, more info would be needed... Especially,
at what point does the installation stall.

Here is one of my install commands that worked:
virt-install --name mail \
--os-variant rhel5.4 --ram 1024 \
--vcpus 2  --accelerate \
--nographics -v \
--location /mnt/centos56/  --network bridge:br0 \
--disk path=/kvmail/mail.img,size=290 \
--extra-args "console=ttyS0";

So I boot the installer from a mounted DVD, then in the dialog I say
"http install", and give it my local http "repo".

No other bridge is necessary - I think it would only make things messy.
In the installer let it configure interface with dhcp, if applicable, or
give it a free ip.

In giving the http repo remember the slash after the subdirectory, for
example (I noticed it is necessary)
address: 12.34.56.78
directory: centos/4.9/os/i386/

This would be http://12.34.56.78/pub/mirrors/centos.org/4.9/os/i386/
Check in your browser that the path works. The stage2 image should
appear in seconds from a local repo!

Once I did a net install with
--location http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/centos.org/4.9/os/i386/
But on another try it did not seem to work anymore. Not sure about that.
Anyway the mounted ISO works every time. And a local repo is very fast.

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Suvilahdenkatu 1 B 78 * 00500 Helsinki * Finland