[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Apr 28 14:32:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> Thanks for pointing out that it really is abnormal because
> it takes about 2 hours for virt-install to create a 190G
> disk for me.

As you are having issues with the install, I might suggest
creating a more modest sized disk image, at least during
testing --- It would be a rare test case that would need more
than 8 G for a CentOS image while you are still solving setup
issues

We have supported guest images up to 400G for one user who
kept re-sizing an image up and up from an initial 4G to over
400 G ... eventually the 2 1/2 hour lag in moving content from
one big image to another bigger image caused him to ask why it
was taking so long. When our interface 'resizes' an image,
it takes a safety snapshot first to an NFS backup store,
tests is, and only then deletes the old image and creates the
old one ... so it takes a while for images over say 100 G.

The delays you note do not surprise me -- it takes time to
reliably shuttle bits around a disk, and no cacheing effects
are possible with off the shelf setups (i.e., lacking huge
memory based drives) to support such large image sizes

-- Russ herrold