[CentOS] I have RHel6. How does that turn into Centos 6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:26:26 UTC 2011

On 4/29/2011 11:17 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Which of the RPM files in RH6 have "proprietary" software in them?
> Those cannot be re-distributed as is? I figure there must be
> something, because I installed the test version of SL6 back in January
> and it locked up in disk recognition, whereas RH6 did not. So the Rhel
> 6 folks know some secrets stuff.

I don't think that's a reasonable conclusion.  There's a reason one is
called a 'test' version, after all.  Things often work better after
fixing the things found in tests...

> Is that legally necessary?  In my memory, there was a Linux distro
> called Mandrake and it was exactly the same as RH for i386, except
> they re-compiled with gcc options for i686.  I recall that in many of
> the RPM packages in Mandrake, they did not bother to replace "RedHat"
> with some other name.

If you are remembering from long ago, it was probably before Red Hat
decided to restrict redistribution (remember, the thing that helped them
build the community that generated the most of the content they ship and
found/fixed lots of bugs...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com