[CentOS] how to access lvm inside lvm

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 07:51:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:27 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 04/29/11 3:05 PM, Peter Peltonen wrote:
>> I have a centos 5.6 server that has xen domUs installed on their on
>> logical volumes. These logical volumes contain their own volume groups
>> and again their own logical volumes. I want to
>

> ugh, and double ugh.   this violates the KISS 'keep it super simple'
> principle, and I can only see the extra layers of complexity leading to
> more frustration.
>
> I would instead run LVM only on dom0, and have your domU's creating file
> systems directly on the virtual devices mapped to said LVs.   if you
> need to grow a file system, you resize the LV from dom0, and then growfs
> in the domU

I agree and the newer domUs I have created do not use LVM. This was
one of the first domUs I created with virt-manager and when installing
the OS I just clicked my way through the CentOS installation like I
usually do, and that meant using LVM. And I don't think you are even
given an option to define the default vg name during the installation?

Regards,
Peter