[CentOS] (c 5.6) Running 2 versions of Apache ?

Mon Aug 29 18:19:46 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 09:26 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> I was thinking virtualization (Xen or an OpenVZ style might be
> appropriate).

Perhaps when I start using Centos 6.1. KVM or XEN ?

> Listen should be used in the global configuration.  So, for example
> your 2.2 configuration file listens on 1.2.3.4:80:

The standard Listen statement is used globally for the benefit of
non-virtual hosts, if any.

> And you have an Apache 2.3.x instance with a separate config file
> listening on either a different IP or a different port on the initial
> IP:

Even sub-version numbers of Apache are stable, odd ones are less stable.
That is why I use only 2.2.

>   <VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80>

I never ever give a virtual host declaration an IP address. If moving
the virtual host to another server, I don't have to change anything
expect the DNS. Also virtual hosts are web sites with different domain
names, so I use

	<virtualhost anydomain.com:80 www.anydomain.com:80>

	<virtualhost domain2.com:80 www.domain2.com:80>

instead.

I found some information on

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/examples.html

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost

I think the solution for me is two NameVirtualHost statements:-

	NameVirtualHost 11.22.33.44:80

	NameVirtualHost 11.22.33.55:80

with normal virtual hosts on IP 11.22.33.44 and the special virtual host
on 11.22.33.55

This will give me a separate IP address, for the special virtual host,
which I can utilise in iptables.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Paul.