[CentOS] RedHat to CentOS packages

Gabriel Tabares

gabriel.tabares at roboreus.com
Mon Aug 1 16:10:08 UTC 2011

Dear all,

We're trying to use Nessus to monitor our system and we're having a hard
time mapping the package versions from RedHat to CentOS in order to be
able to report against CVE (vulnerability reports).

After some research, we think that the mapping is as follows (using
HTTPD as the example):

CentOS httd-2.2.3-43.el5.centos.3 is equivalent to RedHat
httpd-2.2.3-43.el5_5.3

So, it looks like CentOS replaces "_$MINOR_RELEASE" (in this case "_5")
with ".centos" . Is this a fair assumption or are there other rules we
are missing? Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks

Gabriel Tabares