[CentOS] Cannot remove freshly created logical volumes

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Aug 2 16:51:37 UTC 2011

Hi,
I've got a strange situation where I cannot remove logical volumes even
right after they have been created:

[root at centos6 ~]# lvcreate -n c6minimal -L+5G vg_nexus
   Logical volume "c6minimal" created
[root at centos6 ~]# lvremove /dev/vg_nexus/c6minimal
   Can't remove open logical volume "c6minimal"
[root at centos6 ~]# vgck vg_nexus
[root at centos6 ~]# dmsetup info -c vg_nexus-c6minimal
Name               Maj Min Stat Open Targ Event  UUID

vg_nexus-c6minimal 253  23 L--w    0    1      0
LVM-rIIS0StztO1tPspxCxiKWJgcmjiufxvXC343e8jObzXGRHbdtvHaHWfh17ZSukm3

I've even gone to runlevel 1 but still LVM claims that the device is open
despite dmsetup saying that is not the case. vgck doesn't show anything
suspicious either.

Any ideas how I could debug this further?

Regards,
   Dennis