[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 3 05:21:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

*snip*

>> While I understand the sentiment of "why use old
stuff", this is still
>> a pretty ridiculous statement.  It takes not even 10 seconds to think
>> of situations where one would need to, such as interfacing with
>> *paying* clients, etc...
>
> Yes, if you don't control both ends or you are talking to an embedded
> device that can't do anything better...

*snip*

> There are reasonable clients for automating ftp (curl, wget, ncftp,
> lftp, etc.). But they can't match rsync for most things if the goal is
> to move files around, update them in place, etc.  And if you have to
> traverse firewalls, ftp is about the worst possible protocol to use.

I have Proftpd running on my main centos machine. I use gFTP
on centos to connect to this machine over my LAN. This
allows me to move files between the laptop and the main
machine. All my external ports are blocked, and I use ftp as
I find the GUI easy and intuitive to use. I would not
consider using a commandline ftp client.

On my other laptop running Vista I use WinSCP, which is a
free GUI ftp client, that allows me to move files from
the centos machine to the Vista laptop.

Having said that, I can also use my USB flash drive to
transfer some files between those laptops and the
machine running centos. But it's quicker for me to use ftp
over the LAN.

One example of using ftp would be me doing some
experimental test programs on my (centos) laptop, then
ftp'ing to the centos machine and backing up those laptop
files to my main centos box's HDD. That way, if the HDD on
the lappy goes down, I still have some decent backups on
another machine :-)

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: