[CentOS] CentOS 6, Postfix Dovecot

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:42:36 UTC 2011

On 8/3/2011 11:28 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> I only have one Postfix server running at the moment and have some
> questions. On that install, I did Amavisd-new with ClamAV, SpamAssassin,
> Postfix and Dovecot.
>
> I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm really hoping for performance
> guidance.
>
> Is the added layer of complexity running Amavis worth the effort on a
> system with moderate mail flow? Or should I just go down the path of
> getting Clam and SA working with Postfix and be done with it?
>
> Whatever path I decide upon now will hopefully be the future for other
> system builds to come. I have about a dozen Sendmail installs running
> (which will eventually need to be moved over). Some of what I didn't
> like about those is Clam/AV and other checks occurred on both incoming
> and outgoing email. We pretty much don't have an outbound email virus or
> spam problem, so were getting a number of false positives due to DHCP
> and clients being assigned a dirty IP address from time to time.
>
> So yes, what's a good mailserver setup which hopefully stays as close to
> upstream as possible on 6.0?

Look at MimeDefang before you give up on sendmail.  The combination is
very flexible and efficient. Long set of slides here will explain it
better than I can:
http://www.mimedefang.org/static/mimedefang-lisa04.pdf
There is a mail list with some very high-volume users. You don't have to
give up anything that sendmail already handles well, but you can add any
new controls/actions you want as perl snippets that run in the milter,
and because of the way operations are multiplexed you don't have to tie
a big perl process to each sendmail instance or start a new one for each
message.  I'm using it and clamav from the rpmforge repo on 5.x -
haven't tried it on 6.x yet.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com