[CentOS] e-mail serving

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Aug 3 18:13:57 UTC 2011

On 08/03/11 10:53 AM, Todd wrote:
> I am looking to buy a low end box, but that can hold lots of RAM and
> accomodate a fair number of HD's to store the e-mail while I try my
> experiments.

the HP DL180G6 is a nice box for those requirements.   2U server that
can be configured with up to 2x6 core Xeon 5600 series processors, and
up to 96GB ram without using really expensive memory (has 12 memory
slots, 6 per CPU socket, so 6x8gb gets you 48GB, 12x8gb gets you 96gb),
and has either 12 x 3.5" SAS/SATA or 25 x 2.5" SAS/SATA hotswap drives.

a million emails/day is an average of 12/second every single second of
the day.     I'd wager your file system had better be able to handle 3-4
times that so that bursts are handled gracefully.     I'd definately
recommend using raid10 with a fair number of disks for this as that's
lots of small file creates.

what are you doing with this email when you recieve it, beyond just
saving it?