[CentOS] e-mail serving

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Aug 3 18:26:40 UTC 2011

On 08/03/11 11:20 AM, Todd wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>     what are you doing with this email when you recieve it, beyond just
>     saving it?
>

> I plan to analysis the mail to group into e-mails on the same topic
> and create a comprehensive answer to the topics. Along the lines of a
> FAQ for topics that are continually being asked over and over as well
> as more advanced, obscure topics that people may want to chime into.
>
> If I had $500 to spend, not counting money for hard disks, could I
> even get a machine for that? or do I really need to be scraping more
> cash together?

That machine I mentioned, configured with 2 x 6 core 2.8Ghz E5660's and
48GB ram, and the 25 bay SFF (2.5") drive chassis, redundant power, and
a P411 RAID card with 1gb flash-back write-cache (equivalent to battery
backed, but without needing battery replacements every 3-4 years) was
about $8000 with a discount.  and no disks.

for $500, you could get a low end desktop computer.   or a HP microserver.