[CentOS] Interactive PXE install

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 4 23:51:34 UTC 2011

I've got a system (Supermicro P8SCT) that lacks a floppy or CD and it's old
enough that it won't boot from a USB stick. Before I scrounge an optical
drive to plug in, I thought perhaps I could install over the network, as I
see "legacy LAN boot" in the BIOS menu.

The guides for a LAN install I've found all want to do an automated
kickstart install. Are there any guides that explain how to use eg.
CentOS-6.0-i386-netinstall.iso for an interactive PXE installation?

I think I understand the DHCP config and I've got tftpd installed on my
CentOS 5 server and see the empty /tftpboot directory. I'm guessing I need
to unpack some of the files in the iso image into /tftpboot in some special
layout and add some files from /usr/lib/syslinux. What's not clear is what
files in the image go where in the tftpboot system, and what the menu
stanza should look like in the menu file.