[CentOS] Centos6 Migration glitch - ZFS-FUSE

david

david at daku.org
Mon Aug 8 19:57:48 UTC 2011

Folks

My experiments with installing ZFS-FUSE in a Centos 6 system reveal
behavior different from that observed in Centos 5.6.

The version of ZFS-FUSE is that provided on the EPEL repository, and
was installed on a 32-bit machine.  I use it because of its
deduplication facility.

In Centos 5.6, the facility worked as advertised.

In Centos 6, however, the system "hung" in initialization upon the
first reboot after installing ZFS-FUSE and creating a pool.  By
"hung", I mean that the cute sliding blue bar that progresses during
bootstrap got to nearly complete and then stood there for at least 20
minutes.  The identical computer, configured without ZFS-FUSE,
completed the system initialization within normal time.

Following some clues found by googling the bug, I suspected that
AUDITD and ZFS-FUSE had a conflict.  After several experiments, I
found what appears to work.

REMEDY:

When you install ZFS-FUSE, it will start the zfs-fuse service, and
will also automatically issue a "chkconfig zfs-fuse on" command.  The
remedy is to prevent zfs-fuse from running during initializtion by issuing
   chkconfig zfs-fuse off
and starting the service after the initialization is complete.

I personally chose to start it via a crontab entry as root:
   @reboot <something>
where "something" could be the direct service call, or (as was in my
case) the starting of a script to do a bunch of startup things
including starting zfs-fuse service.

IS THIS THE DESIRED BEHAVIOR
I sort of doubt it, and I'm sure it will eventually be sorted out by
the zfs-fuse developers.

David Kurn