[CentOS] OT: headless fanless silent 2 HDs micro server/pc...

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Tue Aug 9 16:54:16 UTC 2011

On 08/09/2011 09:01 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 08:58 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
>
>> Check out the Supermicro X7SPA and X7SPE motherboards.
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA-H-D525.cfm
>>
>> I am running CentOS 5.6 and CentOS 6 x86_64 on them.
>
> Is there sufficient 'guts' on the Intel Atom to do useful work ?
>
> What type of tasks are you running ?

We use it as a captive portal, caching proxy, content filer, content server, and for remote system monitoring/management.  So far it seems to have "guts" similar to the dual core AMD gateways we use in stationary locations managing up to 200 simultaneous connections.

I haven't tested it in a 200 connection situation, but I expect it could handle the traffic.  For now it will be used to manage less than 50 simultaneous connections, in a limited bandwidth (cellular 3G and 4G) connection to the Internet application.

Emmett