[CentOS] Using Samba to share Apache web root, securely

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:32:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:

> http://samba.org/samba/docs/
> >> ----
> >> I'm quite sure that if all the files are owned by the 'department_a'
> group and 'readable' by user apache as I have indicated, they should be with
> the given configuration, there's absolutely no need to do any mucking with
> local users or groups at all.
> >>
> >> The reality is that this machine will query AD/NMB server each time a
> non-local user does anything on this system (read or write) and the only
> thing that will lighten that load is something like NSCD (good luck with
> that - not always a great option with samba).
> >
> > Really? I thought samba would map a connection to a uid at connect time.
> ----
> indeed it does but that doesn't mean that the system won't keep polling the
> authoritative account info source.
> ----
> >
> >> There are two important features of what I proposed...
> >> - sgid means that all files/folders created within will always belong to
> department_a group
> >
> > You can also do a 'force group' in the samba config for a share instead
> > of or besides the sgid directory.
> ----
> true but:
> 1 - force anything seems to be a little heavy handed
> 2 - using sgid means that anyone using a shell will also create
> files/directories with the same group - using 'force group' only has
> implications for samba connections. Using sgid encompasses all methods of
> access.
> ----
> >
> >> - create mask 664&  directory mask 775 means that each file&  directory
> created - group will always get rw privileges and everyone else (ie user
> apache) has 'read' privileges.
> >>
> >> The only weakness of this theory as I see it, is that there very well
> may be files - perhaps config files that you wouldn't want anyone to be able
> to see and you probably will have to have some<Directory>  restrictions in
> Apache's configuration to prevent web users from accessing them.
> >
> > There are also likely situations where the web server needs write
> > access, although those cases should be handled carefully or avoided
> > where possible.
>
> ----
> indeed
>
> Craig

Excellent advice thank you!!!

I was very close to the same conclusion, but have never messed with SGID ,
but that definately helps especially as I make changes on the command line
side while my users do it via Samba.

Also a side note...NONE of this will work if your testing creating files
from a Mac.  You have to add "unix extensions = no " to the Samba global
config section.  Once I did that the create mask and directory mask options
began to work.

Now I have a new requirement passed to me, which is a bit more complicated.

How would I allow individual users the ability only to access specific
subfolders within that share without them being a part of the department_a
group?  My initial idea was to make use of ACLs, but if the POSIX
permissions don't allow them write access, then ACLs won't help, will they ?
 The model is I need users of group department_a to have full control over
this share while allowing individual faculty members to access only their
personal folders within this share.

Thanks again,
- Trey