[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Aug 10 06:32:40 UTC 2011

Hello Rudi,

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 00:17 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Well, I setup CentOS 6 using the netinstall ISO, but want to know if
> there are still packages which I don't need and can remove

Do a minimal install then
# rpm -qa | sort
or
# cat /var/log/rpmpkgs
then
# rpm -e <unwanted package>

rpm -e will not remove any package that has dependencies on it.

But you better add the extra packages you need (f.e. things like mc and
system-config*) before you start pruning, as they might pull back in a
lot of the stuff you might think about taking out (most notably perl).

Regards,
Leonard.