[CentOS] drop manitu.net

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu Aug 11 05:52:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Always Learning wrote:

snip

> Why not run your own mail server ? I use Exim (a Sendmail replacement)
> on several servers. I refuse incoming mails where the sender's HELO /
> EHLO does not match the sender's IP host name, because that - for me -
> eliminates 90% or more of spam and I absolutely detest spam.

snip

> No Centos fan should have to depend on other's email services for daily
> communications, so do consider operating your own mail server.

I have been wondering about that myself.

I'm using postfix instead of sendmail:

postfix         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on
6:off
sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off
5:off   6:off

Can I use postfix to send outgoing emails directly from my
machine, without opening any external ports? Or is that
required for the server handshake protocol?

I did have problems with UCEprotect blocking outgoing emails
from my ISP, on the mc at gnome.org list. But that appears to
have rectified itself now :)

One way around it was to configure alpine MUA to send my
outgoing email via my web hosting providers mail server,
which they kindly agreed to.

Only problem with that was their mail server needed a
password to connect to the server, and alpine is currently
compiled without that option. So I had to enter the password
whenever I wanted to send an email.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: