[CentOS] drop manitu.net

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 11 17:56:46 UTC 2011

Sorry, mouse ran away there with the last post with no comments.

Craig White wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2011, at 4:51 AM, mark wrote:
>> Always Learning wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 21:36 -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:
<snip>
>> You don't seem to understand the issue. My hosting provider has
>> literally hundreds of thousands of domains. The email gets funneled for
>> all, I assume, except those paying for co-location, through their
>> heavy-duty mailhost. manitu sees spam coming from that mailhost, and
>> blocks EVERY EMAIL FROM EVERY DOMAIN that goes through it, even though
>> none of the rest of us are running windows or spamming....
> ----
> Not sure who it is that doesn't understand the issues.
>
> If an RBL has designated a particular SMTP server or range of SMTP servers
> as a source for spam then the solution lies with those that own the SMTP
> servers to satisfy the RBL and get the blocks removed.
>
> Yes, some RBL's are more aggressive than others but the notion that it
> blocks EVERY EMAIL FROM EVERY DOMAIN is exactly what RBL's are supposed to
> do since they don't worry at all about which e-mail or which domain at
> all... only SMTP servers from a particular IP Address or a range of IP
> Addresses.

And that's *EXACTLY* what I'm saying is the wrong thing to do. Dunno where
you live, but go ahead, for whoever provides 'Net access to your home:
call them up, or email them, and tell them to contact manitu, and to
request that manitu put them on a whitelist.

Let me know when they get back to you. I'll look for your email sometime
around the time when you move and change providers.

       mark