[CentOS] drop manitu.net

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 11 18:35:16 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 13:56 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>
>> And that's *EXACTLY* what I'm saying is the wrong thing to do. Dunno
>> where you live, but go ahead, for whoever provides 'Net access to your
>> home: call them up, or email them, and tell them to contact manitu,
>> and to request that manitu put them on a whitelist.
>>
>> Let me know when they get back to you. I'll look for your email sometime
>> around the time when you move and change providers.
>
> You can not change the world on your own, even a little bit, without
> some help. Help from mass 'Internet connections' ISP staff is often
> dependent on not very intelligent people being able to understand your
> problem and then having the ability to forward-on your concerns to a
> more skilled person.

That's "people who are deeply trained to ask, as the first question, and
not think to the second sentence, until you answer "what is your operating
system?", or maybe "have you turned on your computer", or "have you
rebooted your computer", and the idea that the problem is on *their* end
is out of the room.

Try getting one of them to ping your cable modem when the *ethernet* port
burns out, but the coax port is fine. Last time I had to, it took about 10
min before she went to talk to her manager....

> Your task can be onerous and arduous and it will consume your ever
> decreasing free-time.
>
> Be pragmatic. Accept partial defeat. Get an alternative email
> arrangement and you may become more happier.

NO. I WILL *NOT* allow the goddamned spammers to block me from the 'Net,
and I'm *not* willing to have them cost me my email, and go to somewhere
else; certainly not to someone's suggestion of yahoo (and they aren't
banned by manitu?)

> Incidentally as you run your own mail via Bluehost are you actually
> affected, at the moment, by manitu because, presumably, you can send-out
> by BH ?

You misunderstand: I pay them for hosting. They provide the mailserver; it
just comes from my domain on my virtual host on their servers. I don't run
a business, so I'm not going to pay a *lot* more than $6US/mo to run my
own mailserver....

         mark