[CentOS] drop manitu.net

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Aug 11 18:53:02 UTC 2011

M.roth at 5-cent.us wrote on Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:46:22 -0400:

> I'm sorry, nobody seems to get what I've been saying: I haven't been on
> roadrunner for two years. I'm sending this email via bluehost, my current
> hosting provider.

Ok, so you use Bluehost and one of their mailservers got on the list because
spam was sent over it. Is that correct? There is an easy solution for them:
they can ask Nixspam to be put on the whitelist or they can spamscan their
outgoing SMTP (many hosting providers do that). Complain to them.

> AND THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between you and manitu.net. You're not going for
> their whole IP range, which seems to be what manitu is doing.

Not correct. Nixspam adds single IP numbers once their spamtraps have
received spam from them. The IP gets automatically removed after 12 or 24
hours (look it up in their policy). That's fair enough, isn't it?

> Again, I haven't been with rr for two years. My current hosting provider,
> Bluehosts, is is telling me that I was banned.

*You* were "banned" or one of *their* mail servers got "banned"?

> Also, again, it isn't just me. What was it, earlier this year? late last
> year? one or two other folks were complaining, when they could *finally*
> post again, that they'd been banned.

It's simple. If there is no spam originating from that mail server it won't
get on the list. If there is some spam originating from that mail server
despite all good efforts to avoid that and they are on the whitelist it won't
get on the list. In any other case I don't see why it shouldn't make it on
the list if spam originates from it.

You got blocked this single one time in two years and you already complain?
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for that. If it were going to happen
frequently you would have my sympathy. But I would also tell you to move to a
better host that cares more about not spamming.

Is it really the first time that you hear about the concept of RBLs? They
have been around for years and have proven to be one of the most effective
ways to combat spam, still.

Kai