[CentOS] sieveshell fails to start on CentOS 6.0

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Fri Aug 12 21:28:24 UTC 2011

On 8/11/2011 7:00 PM, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 01:52:21 PM -0400 Harold Pritchett
> <harold at uga.edu>  wrote:
>
>> [harold at newmick ~]$ sieveshell localhost
>> connecting to localhost
>> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 170.
As an aid to finding out what was happening, I dropped a blank drive into this system
and installed CentOS 5.6 in place of 6.0.  Did a quick upgrade to 5.7 and then configured
and started the following subsystems, exactly the same way I had done with 6.0

 1. cyrus-imap
 2. cyrus saslauthd
 3. openldap

[harold at newmick ~]$ sieveshell localhost
connecting to localhost
Please enter your password:
 > put sieve
 > list
sieve
 > activate sieve
 > list
sieve <- active script
 > quit
[harold at newmick ~]$

And, so, it works.  I am building this server to replace my existing mail/web/database server
which is running Fedora release 9 (Sulphur).  I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of
CentOS, but it looks to me that it's just not ready for prime time.  So, I'll just go to 5.7 and
be supported again.

Thanks for the help, even if we never got it to work.

Harold