[CentOS] cr repository when running your own mirror

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Aug 16 11:21:06 UTC 2011

On 08/16/2011 11:30 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Is it really worth the hassle to add and remove the repo just to get the
> packages a few days early?

you need to add it in, one time. You wont need to remove anything. As
long as you do not edit that file it will be managed by
centos-release-5-7 and centos-release-cr-5-7 etc.

Because, as step 1, we did not want to default everyone over into moving
a machine's state unexpectedly : we created this one time manual step.
Depending on how things go and how people feel we could potentially
remove that manual step in the future.

The important thing here is that you have an option to either get onto
or not get onto the cr/ release process, and you can opt out whenever
you like by removing the file. But as long as you are 'in', you wont
need to do anything manual from this point on.

And yes, I think its worth getting the security fix's at least out to as
many people as possible, as quickly as possible. Segregating these
security fixs, their build deps and their link chains is super complex
and in many cases of dubious value in the EL release frame. Which is why
we have the security, bugfix and enhancement updates rolled in here.

> What bugs me about this is the manual overhead for adding and removing the
> repo on the systems. I presume when TUV 5.8 gets released and I want to be
> up-to-date I have to add the CentOS cr repo again and then remove it when
> CentOS 5.8 is out?

no, if you leave the centos-release-cr installed on your machine, you
wont need to do anything. just keep the yum updates going

> That way people interested in the rolling release would only have to enable
> this only once on their systems and stay on this rolling release train
> until they deliberately deactivate the repo again.

What we have now should be pretty much the same thing. You can make a
decision based on site and system role policy, once you opt-in, you stay
opted-in.

- KB