[CentOS] Strange Kernel Warning.

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 17 14:48:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, John Doe wrote:

> From: John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Strange Kernel Warning.
>
> From: Lisandro Grullon <lgrullon at CityTech.Cuny.Edu>
>> Can someone give me clues as to whether my memory is
>> going bad or I am having problem with the actual board.
>> Thank you in advace.
>

> Any led on the motherboard (even better if next to a RAM slot)?
> Usually, the best (if you can) is to swap RAM modules.
> If the error follows the RAM module; it is a module problem.
> If the error stays at the same position, it is the motherboard.

Another option is to take all the memory out, and then put
one module at a time back onto the motherboard, and test
that with memtest86+. Should be on the install CD/DVD.

Once you have identified a memory module that tests without
errors, try that in each of the other slots if possible.

If there are no errors in any of the other slots, then you
will need to test the other memory modules in a slot you
know works OK, to see if it's one of the other memory
modules that is faulty.

It's also possible to have high density memory and low
density memory that works and tests OK individually on a
motherboard. However when high density and low density
modules are mixed together at the same time in a system,
then you might find errors occuring.

I had this on a Centos 5.5 32 bit system, and it was very
frustrating to locate the cause of the error. Testing one
individual memory module at a time takes the guesswork out
of which module may be the faulty one. But NEVER mix HD and
LD modules together, as they don't always work well
together.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites: