[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:21:21 UTC 2011

On 8/18/2011 2:01 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Let's try again:
>

> I need to automatically block any user who abuses bandwidth, either
> incoming or outgoing. I should be able to set the limits, in either
> rate/s or usage/s: 1Mb/s or 10GB/h, for example.
>
> Then, any users, connecting from anywhere, on any IP should be blocked
> - either if he uploads or downloads (i.e ingres&  outgres) for a
> specific amount of time.

Those requirements don't mesh very well with the real world.  That is,
people use use a network that they've been provided or paid for aren't
necessarily 'abusing' anything, and blocking access at times when the
network isn't fully loaded doesn't help anyone.  What's the big picture
here?  Don't you really need QOS to throttle certain things at peak
times only?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com