[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Mike mike at microdel.org
Thu Aug 18 19:25:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Let's try again:
>

> I need to automatically block any user who abuses bandwidth, either
> incoming or outgoing. I should be able to set the limits, in either
> rate/s or usage/s: 1Mb/s or 10GB/h, for example.
>
> Then, any users, connecting from anywhere, on any IP should be blocked
> - either if he uploads or downloads (i.e ingres & outgres) for a
> specific amount of time.

As one might imagine there is at least one commercial product that seems
to fit the bill.

http://www.aspirantinfotech.com/downloads/Cyberoam/pdf/Managing-bandwidth-the-User-based-approach.pdf

I mention this as I thought it was well written and thorough.  After
reading the pdf seems to me there ought to be something open source based
upon perhaps this:  http://lartc.org/lartc.html

Anyway maybe some food for thought.