[CentOS] cr repository when running your own mirror

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 23:15:05 UTC 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 08/17/2011 09:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>>> You wont need to remove anything. As
>>> long as you do not edit that file it will be managed by
>>> centos-release-5-7 and centos-release-cr-5-7 etc.
>>
>> Well, surely those people using their own mirrors will have to do
>> something ...
>
> Sure, but then if someone is going to hardwire urls to point at specific
> content, its reasonable to expect them to manage that content locally.
>
> the /cr/ repo isnt going to go away, the content from inside it will, so
> depending on how you rehash the baseurl, leave the $releasever tag in,
> and things should be fine. As long as you mirror the entire repo
> structure from centos.org

I wonder if this wouldn't cause a lot more unnecessary download traffic from the mirrors as most people who replicate the tree will automatically pull in /cr even if they don't need/want it?

For real rolling releases I might have just created a /cr repo at the top level for each branch like someone else suggested, but instead of wiping it out between point releases just keep throwing the updated packages in there and createrepo it.

You would have dozens of versions of the same package in there after a while, but on the bright side on can 'yum downgrade' a package all the way back to 5.0. Of course you would probably purge packages older then X-Y revisions old to keep things sane.

Just my $.02

-Ross