[CentOS] Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms

Tony Schreiner tony.schreiner at bc.edu
Fri Aug 19 18:26:23 UTC 2011

On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I have just upgraded my server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and am having
> connectivity problems.  My laptop runs Fedora 14, and I have been in
> the habit
> of mounting data partitions on my server by fstab entries.  Since
> the update
> I've not been able to do that.  On watching the messages during a
> reboot I saw
> a statement that the connection was denied by the server (where are
> those
> messages stored so that I can quote accurately?).
>
> I have temporarily disabled both the firewall and selinux, and the
> problem
> persists, so clearly they are not the cause.  Logwatch has the
> following
> section which may or may not be connected:
>
> --------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin
> ------------------------
>

> Userhelper executed applications:
>    anne -> system-config-users  as root:  1 Time(s)
>
> **Unmatched Entries**
>    polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-
> session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 successfully
> authenticated as
> unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action
> org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth for system-bus-name::1.88
> [/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/system-config-firewall] (owned by unix-
> user:anne): 1
> Time(s)
>    polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for
> session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8): 1
> Time(s)
>    polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for
> session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.45
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8): 1
> Time(s)
>    polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for
> session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24, object
> path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
> (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>    polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for
> session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object
> path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8)
> (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>
> ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
> -------------------------
>
> An example fstab line is
>
> /Data1			/nfs4exports/Data1	none	bind		0 0

> [...]

I didn't read your original post carefully enough the first time.

You show the exports file, but nowhere do I see a reference of how the
client is mounting the export from the server. THe bind mounts above
are remounting a local file system in a different location, they do
not mount an NFS share from an external server. Usually it looks
something like this:

server:/share		/local/mount		nfs	defaults		0 0

(obviously defaults can instead be specific options)