[CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Aug 24 02:00:20 UTC 2011

On 08/23/11 6:40 PM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> I saw the i7's but I'm getting confused about dual core. Is the i7 thing a
> new speed instead of Mghz?

the Core I series comes in a series of different processor subfamilies,
I3, I5, I7... and individual members of each of these has different
specs.  and they bridge 2 complete chip micr-architectures

and to make it even MORE complex, there's "Nehalem" Core I3/5/7 and
"Sandy Bridge" Core I3/5/7.

here, easier than explaining it all, its kinda confusing how many models
there are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core#Nehalem_microarchitecture_based
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core#Sandy_Bridge_microarchitecture_based

For instance, the Core I7 920-960 family were Nehalem microarchitecture
based 2.67 to 3.33 GHz 4-core 8MB cache CPUs.
The I7 970-990 are 6 core 3.2-3.5Ghz 12MB cache Nehalem (and obscenely
expensive).

The I7-2600 is the new Sandy Bridge guts, this time with 3.4GHz, 6 cores

nehalem and sandy bridge CPUs require different motherboards.

The I5 and I3 are smaller/slower versions of the above.  For instance, a
Core I3-2100 is a "Sandy Bridge" 3.1Ghz 2-core

confused yet?