[CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:05:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Thomas Dukes <tdukes at sc.rr.com> wrote:
> I would like to upgrade my system to a 64 bit machine. I'd like to find a
> bare bones platform to build on. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on
> this as it is a home system. I looked on the CentOS sponsor page but only
> saw hosting services.
>
> I haven't kept up with hardware in years so I'm dumber than dirt on what's
> out there. I would prefer a desktop so I can stack it. Don't think I need to
> do the Xeon as that would be overkill for a home user.
>
> This would be replacing my 'server' so I need PCI slots for an additional
> NIC and a 32 bit video capture card used for zoneminder. Not sure what PCI
> express is or if my cards would work in those slots. Yep, I'm running 8 yrs
> old machines, IBM NetVistas. :-(

If all the jargon is new to you, you might be better off getting a pre-built
system.  System integration can be hit or miss until one acquires
experience the hard way.   My current home "server" is an off-lease
business-class HP desktop. It's built from commodity parts, so it's
upgradable.  Look at the service manual before you buy.  And the HP
runs CentOS beautifully.

Jim