[CentOS] updating 5.6 but not going to 6.0

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Aug 26 13:58:03 UTC 2011

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 09:17:39 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/25/11 12:09 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
> > I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without
> > upgrading to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release
> > packages for 6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum
> > update".
> >
> > Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?
>
> somethign is hosed in your yum.repos.d or something...  it should not be
> installing a 6.0 -release package

Agreed. CentOS-5.6 will only upgrade to 5.7, 5.8, ...

6.0 will in a similar fashion become 6.1, 6.2, ...

If you have a system where yum wants to install the CentOS-6 centos-release
then either the distribution network is horribly messed up or you've got an
incorrectly modified local yum configuration. My guess is on the latter.

/Peter