[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Aug 26 17:16:56 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 11:46 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> But there is nothing related in those two statements.  It would be
>> equally true if you put your customizations in differently named files
>> under /etc/httpd/conf.d and in directories under /var/www/html.   The
>> difference is that anyone familiar with the standard layout could look
>> at a system and understand it quickly where your non-standard
>> locations would have to be carefully documented and a new admin would
>> need to waste time figuring it out.
<snip>
> We do not willingly add anything to /etc/httpd/conf.d or
> to /var/www/html. Our chosen operating system does not require it.

"Does not require"?

I dunno. My current job, and the last two - that goes back to '06 - *all*
did minimal changes to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, and put *everything*
else in /etc/httpd/conf.d, including ssl.conf.  IIRC, in fact, the package
install puts proxy_agp.conf there.

Also, it makes things a *lot* cleaner to have website1.conf,
website2.conf, etc in conf.d, rather than in one huge httpd.conf.

        mark